4/23/09

oh what fun, samantha's turning one

so as the countdown to sammy mac's first birthday is officially on with only thirteen days left, i am flooded with emotions and crazy i-cant-believe-this feelings. i am in complete disbelief that my baby girl is actually almost one and that this big milestone, that always felt so far in the future, is now upon us. i am VERY proud and thankful that it has been a healthy and smooth first year but as i am with almost every change i am sad..no, more just emotional. thinking back to all the 'firsts' of these past almost twelve months, its incredible. 
as i am working on editing the collection of videos we have taken each month on her birthday i get teary eyed watching it all.....her little newborn body in the little white gown on her homecoming day and remembering how it felt to walk her around her room for the first time and introduce her to cole and nemo, watching her hold her head up for the first time and scoot across the floor on her belly, or the night we moved her from our room in the bassinet to her big-girl crib and how anxious tyler and i felt, how small she used to look in the car seat, her first foods in the high chair and all the spit up cloths that were always on my shoulder, our special, quiet time together breastfeeding (which is NOT over yet) its by far one of the best, most reflective part of this whole motherhood thing, the video of her first time in the pool with all of her family cheering her on is priceless too...i love tyler's proud dad voice narrating in the background what she had accomplished each month and the quick glimpse into how that day was going. how did it all go by so fast? 
our little cupcake is almost a walker now and moving so fast, her little personality has emerged with her big smiles and funny laugh, a little shy but always wanting to wave and smile at new people, independent when she plays and explores and comforted by her 'geez' during naptime, communicating with her sign language and saying up with her hands above her head, always loving to be involved in what we are doing and happy to be nestled on my hip checking things out, eating all kinds of big people food and drinking out of a cup, wearing sneakers and singing to herself, giving lots of kisses and high fives...its all of this almost-toddler stuff that excites me for her next year, leaving babyhood behind. ok, now i'm getting sad again. anyway this is a long post....the last post before i put this blog to print. what a memorable journal this is to look back on and remember just how special everyday was being together as a new family. taking time to make each other smile, enjoying each other's company and making memories as a family is what i love most about my life. tyler is by far the most loving and caring daddy and watching him take care of samantha is better than i ever imagined. samantha's love for her family and the joy she brings to all of us is unmeasurable. i love her with my whole heart and couldn't be more proud of her first year. Ahhh...there, i said it. she's almost one and i can't wait to see what this second year brings. yes! May 6th- your big first birthday-here we come!!!!!!!!!!
ps. can't wait for her cupcake birthday party next weekend...so much to celebrate! 
daddy's little monkey, 11 1/2 months old, enjoying an afternoon of playtime
ok, here ya go, i'll hold one shoe and you hold the other, sound fair?
big girl smiles

hmmm, which shoes to wear today, an obvious dilemma 

6 happy messages:

The Lovealls April 23, 2009 at 7:38 PM  

Lindsay,
I just wanted to say Congrats for nursing for a year. I nursed my son for 10 months (he actually weaned himself), and it was such a special time for me and my baby.
Happy Birthday to Samantha! She is such a beautiful baby! I hope her celebration is wonderful.

Love,
Emily Loveall (Miranda' sister)

Heidi April 23, 2009 at 10:01 PM  

i love this post so much. i love all the things you wrote...the little details that make up sam's precious first year.

it is so bittersweet...birthdays. exciting happy times laced with nostalgia and memories of a smaller baby! soooo much more to look forward to!!! can't wait to see the birthday girl!

the blog book will be beautiful!

ps i found the other pink croc today in the toy room!!!

Anonymous April 27, 2009 at 7:12 AM  

I didn't realize our baby girls were so close in age, only 10 days apart, so I can definitely understand the thoughts and feelings you're going through. One of my favorite quotes that I've taken as my own is, "The days are long but the years are short when you have small children." It never seems like a year has past... how could it?! :) I keep saying I don't want her to grow up anymore, but I also know that I'll continue to enjoy her adorable antics for years.

Happy Birthday Sammy!
Stacie

Kelly Hutcheson April 27, 2009 at 5:32 PM  

What a sweetie pie! I love all these pictures and the stories that make her sweet Samantha!

The Jones Family April 28, 2009 at 2:52 PM  

what a beautiful post. so caring, so loving...so what a mom should be. so proud of you! what a beautiful family...full of love and joy. Lucky Sammy.

Nicole May 2, 2009 at 5:55 PM  

So, I am crying now! I feel all the things you are writing every time Conor reaches a milestone and I can't imagine how I will be on his first birthday, I can't even picture it!

It is amazing how much you can love another little person. Motherhood is the most wonderful, rewarding thing in the world!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP