7/21/09

rock a bye baby

there's something about this whole baby-growing-up-so-fast thing that gets me thinking back and feeling all nostalgic about being a new mommy. of course this comes up as i close another chapter in her babyhood and focus on the accomplishments that lie ahead as she becomes an adorable toddler. to get right to it....two nights ago, july 19th, was our last night of breastfeeding. what a difficult decision this was to wean her from nursing and to say goodbye to what's been one of the most profound and special experiences in my life. its hard to describe the bonding that took place......the little secrets i whispered and hopes i dreamed of as i stared into her little face for the past 14 1/2 months. i loved it...loved that it was just her and i, loved that i could nourish her and provide for her growing, healthy body, loved that we could be anywhere, loved the little grunts and noises she made and sighs of relief when she was full, the closeness and the fact that it wasn't always easy. now after so many months i feel a little sad to end it mixed with a lot of feelings of accomplishment and pride that she is more independent and getting older. so i remind myself (alot)....its okay for things to end as its only the beginning of something new and exciting...... and i can't wait for that! 
first time nursing samantha, only minutes old....
taking a quick break to feed samantha at the beach in fort myers, six months old
dreaming of milk and falling asleep......13 months old

6 happy messages:

Kelle July 21, 2009 at 12:48 PM  

Pass the torch, baby! Pass it to me! Can't wait for milk jugs! Oh, but I know it's so sad for the finality of it. So glad you wrote about it...and I LOVE nursing pics. My favorite one of all time is from my favorite photographer:
check out the post and scroll down:
http://tarawhitney.com/justbeblogged/2008/12/hager-family-x-2-%e2%80%a2-orange-county-family-photos-%e2%80%a2-at-home-then-huntington-beach/

The Lovealls July 21, 2009 at 1:27 PM  

I miss nursing too, Lindsay. It makes me want to have another baby to create that bond again! :) Here is a picture from my blog where I wrote briefly about nursing, http://loveallnews.blogspot.com/2008/08/beautiful-moments.html

Sarah (Rowland) Lombardo July 22, 2009 at 1:41 PM  

You are tugging at my heartstrings. I've experienced weaning once, and I know it's going to come again with Lia, but I can't even imagine it right now.
You are now a nursing mommy alumni. A superhero to little Sammy. The experience is unlike any other. So glad you shared.

Jessica July 23, 2009 at 6:18 AM  

14 1/2 months is amazing! Good for you! I'm hoping we're in it for the long haul next time around:)

Nicole July 27, 2009 at 11:39 AM  

What a wonderful accomplishment! I just want to cry reading your post and thinking that little Conor is not far off from that point, I'm sure it will be here before I know it. It just makes me want to enjoy and soak up every little moment before it passes on to the next. Way to go Linds!

Heidi July 31, 2009 at 12:57 PM  

aww. love this post. it is sad to let that time go. my kids still try to nurse.

i loved all that bonding time. nothing else like it in the world.

these pictures are so sweet.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP